Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Motorcycles, my relationship status and med school applications

In the last couple of days, I have:
  • Been reunited with old friends over brownies, during church services and while talking to their parrot at their store
  • Learned about a part of the U.S. that I wasn't sure actually existed--the replica of the Dominican Republic in the Bronx. (My friend who's been living there has actually practiced less English living in the U.S. than she did here in the D.R.)
  • Discussed and debated the merits of immigrating to the U.S. (specifically to the Bronx)
  • Ridden sideways on a motorcycle because I was wearing a skirt
  • Called a friend with a motorcycle to come get me and take me home without thinking twice (I used to be terrified of motorcycles)
  • Received lots of hugs from the little deaf boy at church who seemed very excited that I was back (and very intrigued by my peppermint scented hand sanitizer)
  • Been asked by three different guys who were "just trying to get to know me" whether or not I had a boyfriend. Note: none of them agreed to participate in an interview after finding out that I do indeed have a boyfriend.
  • Attended a lecture on sexual health given in Spanish with some very disturbing accompanying pictures
  • Submitted my primary applications to medical schools! 
 Some things for prayer:
  • Sleep! It has been extremely hot here lately which has meant that I've been having trouble falling asleep at a reasonable hour. Yesterday, that really started to take a toll on me and I wasn't feeling too well.  Today has been better, but the heat doesn't seem to be abating much. 
  • Perseverance! As I get close to my initial goal of 25 interviews, it's hard to be motivated to keep going out every afternoon. I need to remember that more data is better and will in the end be more helpful as I write my thesis. 
  • Trust! I submitted my primary application to medical schools about an hour ago, which means it is now time to wait and trust that God knows where I'll wind up, even though I don't

No comments:

Post a Comment