Thursday, June 14, 2012

Tying up loose ends

With 23 community interviews and meetings with 4 doctors complete, I'm coming to the end of my research here. The last few days I've been meeting with doctors--one for a nice hour and half long chat at her house, others for a quick 15 minute interview at their clinic--as well as getting ahead on some background research for my independent study. While I might go down to the barrio to do a few more interviews, in my last week here, I have a few very specific goals:
  • Spend some time talking to Tati, a pediatrician who has helped out with STMMs before--I think she will have a unique perspective as she works in the public system here but has also spent quite a bit of time in the U.S.. (Plus she's a big Duke basketball fan, which makes her my favorite doc!) 
  • Interview Maria and Giselle, the two people who have been helping me with my interviews. I not only want to have them answer the questions, but to get their impressions about the variety of people we've interviewed, questions or answers that surprised them, etc.
I think the only person I'll wind up doing a follow-up interview with is Fatima--I want to get a bit more of her perspective on private vs. public care and pay as well as her reasons for working in the public system. I think that because my questions were rather specific, even though they were opinion based, everyone had relatively straightforward answers.  If anyone said anything surprising or if they seemed confused, I asked follow-up questions at the time or tweaked the questions for the next batch of interviews. 

No comments:

Post a Comment